Sendil Ethiraj London Business School Co-Chair
Atul Nerkar University of North Carolina-Chapel Hill Co-Chair
The Strategic Management Society is pleased to announce our 10th annual Doctoral Workshop to be held Saturday, September 28th, preceding the Strategic Management Society Conference in Atlanta, Georgia. The Doctoral Workshop will be held at Omni Hotel, site of the SMS Conference.
We are also proud to announce that 25 scholarships will be funded partially through the generous support of the Society for the Advancement of Management Studies (suppliers of the Journal of Management Studies). These scholarships will be offered through competitive entry and review of students for the Doctoral Workshop. The scholarships will cover costs of the Doctoral Workshop, as well as the SMS Conference Registration Fee.
The workshop will be led by Atul Nerkar (University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill) and Sendil Ethiraj (London Business School) as co-chairs. Names of additional faculty members taking part in the workshop will be made available in future correspondences as well as in announcements on the SMS website.
The Doctoral Workshop is intended for doctoral students at the early stage of their dissertation research. The Workshop will be highly interactive and will includes a variety of panels as well as, practical sessions on developing dissertation proposals and launching academic careers, and a meet-the-editors session.
Nominees must have completed the initial comprehensive examination and coursework (or equivalent) of their doctoral program; preference will be given to those just commencing the formal work on their doctoral topic. Acceptance of a paper at the main Strategic Management Society conference is not required, but attendance at the conference is expected.
Application materials should include:
- Nomination/recommendation letter from a faculty member (with contact information)
- A one-page summary of the applicant’s career to date
- A 300-word description of the applicant’s research interests
Other things being equal, preference will be given to nominees
- who are current members of the SMS
- who have their nomination letter from a current member of the SMS
* Only one (1) nominee per school will be accepted to the Doctoral Workshop; schools should only nominate one (1) student. While self nominations are accepted, we encourage each institution to pre-select a candidate and nominate that individual.
As an international organization with a widely distributed membership, we aim to have the workshop attendee composition reflect this international representation.
All application materials should be submitted online to the conference website atlanta.strategicmanagement.net by June 4, 2013. The Doctoral Workshop Application Review Committee’s decisions will be sent to nominees at the end of June 2013.
Doctoral Workshop Timeline
- June 4, 2013
- Submission Deadline for Nominations
- September 28, 2013
- Doctoral Workshop
- September 28 - October 1, 2013
- SMS 33rd Annual International Conference
To see the complete version of the Doctoral Workshop Call for Nominations please download the provided pdf.